All about Well Dressing in the Derbyshire tradition
May 23, 2020
- Dedication: May 23, 10:45a.m. (TBC) starting in St Mary’s Church
- Wells in the Making: May 18 to 22, various times in the Wellspring Church Community Room.
varies from year to year. In 2019 there were 13:
Show Past Well Dressings
- 1. Wellspring Church Well Dressings 2 dressings in the yard of the Wellspring Church on Wood Street
- 2. Memorial Gardens Well Dressings 2 dressings in the Memorial Gardens, next to the Memorial Hall on St Johns Street
- 3. Cruck Cottage Well Dressings 2 dressings on the site of the old Cruck Cottage on St Johns Street
- 4. Churchyard Well Dressings 2 dressings in a small courtyard next to St Mary’s Churchyard, behind the buildings on St Johns Street
- 5. St Mary’s Church Well Dressings 2 dressings inside St Mary’s Church. Only accessible when the Church is open
- 6. Waltham House Well Dressings 2 dressings in the entrance driveway of Waltham House on St Johns Street
- 7. St Mary’s Gate Well Dressing outside St Mary’s Church, facing the Parish Rooms on St Mary’s Gate
How to get there
Wirksworth is located on the B5023 from Duffield (on the A6) and the B5036 from Cromford (also on the A6).
CAR: use DE4 4DR for satnav
The in-town car parks can get very busy, but there are other car parks on the edge of town. There is some time limited on-street parking.
BUS: Tuesdays to Saturdays: 2 per hour from Matlock, hourly from Derby and Bakewell; Sundays and Bank Holiday Monday: every 2 hours from Matlock and Belper.
TRAIN: Saturday, Sunday, Bank Holiday Monday and Tuesday: every 2 hours from Duffield by Ecclesbourne Valley Railway, connecting with trains from Nottingham,
Derby and Matlock.