All about Well Dressing in the Derbyshire tradition
July 2 to July 9, 2023
Dedication: July 2, 2:00p.m. starting at Higher Buxton Well Dressing.
Wells in the Making: June 28 to 30, 9:00a.m. (12:00 noon Wednesday) to 6:00p.m. in St John the Baptist Church (at the junction of Manchester Road and St John’s Road).
1. Higher Buxton Well on the west side of the Market Place. In the latter part of the week, this is in the midst of the funfair
2. St Ann’s Well at the well on The Crescent
3. Spring Gardens Well Dressing a well dressing with 3 separate faces on Spring Gardens, at its junction with The Quadrant
4. Lion Head Fountain Well Dressing in the Pump Room opposite St Ann's Crescent. Only accessible when the Pump Room is open
5. Water Street Well Dressing
6. Lion Head Fountain Well Dressing (until 2007)
7. St John’s Church Flower Festival
8. St Anne’s Church Well Dressing
9. Sylvan Park Well Dressing
Show Past Well Dressings
On occasions when a Flower Festival is held in St John the Baptist Church on different dates from the main Well Dressing event, a Well Dressing board will often feature in the Church as part of the Festival.
How to get there
Buxton is located on the A6 between Bakewell and Stockport.
CAR: use SK17 6EQ for satnav
Town centre car parks are convenient but it can be difficult to find a place in the latter part of the week when the funfair occupies the Market Place. However, it is usually possible to find on street parking a little away from the town centre.
BUS:Every Day: regular services from Manchester, Macclesfield, Sheffield, Chesterfield, Ashbourne, Derby and various local destinations.
TRAIN: (station in lower part of town centre): Every Day: roughly every hour from Manchester.