All about Well Dressing in the Derbyshire tradition
FORMER WELL DRESSING LOCATION
Varies from year to year. Obtain a brochure with map from the sales caravan on The Green in front of the St Helen’s Church. In 2019, there were nine:
Show Past Well Dressings
- 1. The Green Well Dressing on The Green in front of St Helen’s Church
- 2. Almshouses Well Dressings 2 dressings outside the old Almshouses, facing the churchyard of St Helen’s Church
- 3. Blenheim House Well Dressing in the garden of The Blenheim House on Derby Road
- 4. Hawk & Buckle Well Dressing in the yard of the Hawk & Buckle Inn on Derby Road
- 5. Scout Hut Well Dressing outside the Scout hut on Sandypits Lane
- 6. Primary School Well Dressing in the garden behind the Primary School (follow signs along path from front gate). May not be accessible on the Monday.
- 7. Cricket Club Well Dressing in the grounds of the Cricket Club (go along Church Hill to its end and through the gate onto the Cricket Ground)
- 8. John Port Spencer Academy Well Dressing at the entrance to John Port Spencer Academy, next to The Green
The Have-a-Go Well Dressing, providing a demonstration and an opportunity for everyone to try their hand, is made in a marquee on The Green during the course of the weekend.
How to get there
Etwall is located just off the A516, which links southwest Derby (Mickleover and Littleover) with the A50.
CAR: use DE65 6LP for satnav
There is on street car parking but at busy times you may need to park some distance from the village centre.
BUS: Mondays to Saturdays: every half hour from Derby and Burton-upon-Trent; every 2 hours from Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent and Uttoxeter. Sundays: every 2 hours from Derby and Burton-upon-Trent.
CYCLE: traffic free National Cycle Route 54 passes the village.