All about Well Dressing in the Derbyshire tradition
July 2 to July 9, 2023
Dedication: July 2, 2:00p.m. starting at Bank Street Well. Well Dressing at Little Hayfield is dressed at a different time.
Wells in the Making: June 26 to 30, various times at various venues in the village. Contact Lynne Bagshaw 01663 742112 for further details.
Note: Dedication at Little Hayfield held separately: July 2, 5:00p.m.
1. Swallowhouse Well at the restored well on the south side of Swallow House Lane
2. Bank Street Well 2 dressings on Bank Street, a short distance above its junction with Market Street
3. Children’s Well Dressings 2 dressings at the Cenotaph, next to the river bridge near the entrance to the Royal Hotel
4. St John’s Methodist Church Well Dressing at St John’s Methodist Church on New Mills Road (A6015)
5. Watery Hey Well on a footpath joining the end of Spring Vale Road with Valley Road, about 300m from the village centre
6. Little Hayfield Well Dressing on the Green at the side of Slack Lane, about 100m from its junction with the A624 in Little Hayfield Village
7. St Matthew’s Church Well Dressing in the churchyard of St Matthew’s Church
8. Hill Houses Well
9. Well Springs Well Dressing
Show Past Well Dressings
How to get there
Hayfield is located on the A624 between Chapel-en-le-Frith and Glossop.
CAR: use SK22 2EP for satnav
It is usually possible to find on street parking in Hayfield village, in easy walking distance to the majority of the dressings. Slack Lane in Little Hayfield is very narrow, there is no public parking and you are advised not to drive down it; parking is permitted on sections of the main road (A624) but it can be difficult to find a space at busy times.
BUS:Mondays to Fridays: frequent from New Mills and Newtown; 3 per hour from Marple and Glossop; 2 per hour from Stockport; 5 services per day from Buxton; 1 per day from Macclesfield. Saturdays: 3 per hour from Glossop; 2 per hour from New Mills, Newtown and Stockport; hourly from Marple; 5 services per day from Buxton; 1 per day from Macclesfield. Sundays: Hourly from New Mills, Newtown and Stockport; 5 services per day from Glossop; 4 per day from Buxton and Holmfirth.