All about Well Dressing in the Derbyshire tradition
- May 20 to May 22, 2023
- Dedication: May 20, 11:30a.m.
- Wells in the Making: demonstration Well Dressings will be made during the course of the opening weekend of the event.
Varies from year to year. Obtain a brochure with map from the sales caravan on The Green in front of the St Helen’s Church. In 2023, there were seven:
Show Past Well Dressings
- 1. The Green Well Dressing on The Green in front of St Helen’s Church
- 2. Almshouses Well Dressing outside the old Almshouses, facing the churchyard of St Helen’s Church
- 3. Church Hill Well Dressing at the top of Church Hill, between St Helen’s Church and Main Street
- 4. Hawk & Buckle Well Dressing in the yard of the Hawk & Buckle Inn on Derby Road
- 5. Scout Hut Well Dressing outside the Scout hut on Sandypits Lane
- 6. Cricket Club Well Dressing in the grounds of the Cricket Club (go along Church Hill to its end and through the gate onto the Cricket Ground)
- 7. Spread Eagle Well Dressing outside the Spread Eagle pub, facing Main Street
- 8. Blenheim House Well Dressing
- 9. Frank Wickham Hall Well Dressing
- 10. Primary School Well Dressing
- 11. Egginton Road Well Dressing
- 12. Leisure Centre Well Dressing
- 13. Kadampa School Well Dressing (2014)
- 14. John Port School Well Dressing
- 15. John Port Spencer Academy Well Dressing
- 16. Kiln Croft Well Dressing
- 17. Flying Start Language Centre Well Dressing
- 18. Blenheim House Well Dressing (until 2019)
The Have-a-Go Well Dressing, providing a demonstration and an opportunity for everyone to try their hand, is made in a marquee on The Green during the course of the weekend.
How to get there
Etwall is located just off the A516, which links southwest Derby (Mickleover and Littleover) with the A50.
CAR: use DE65 6LP for satnav
There is on street car parking but at busy times you may need to park some distance from the village centre.
BUS: Mondays to Saturdays: every half hour from Derby and Burton-upon-Trent; every 2 hours from Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent and Uttoxeter. Sundays: every 2 hours from Derby and Burton-upon-Trent.
CYCLE: traffic free National Cycle Route 54 passes the village.