All about Well Dressing in the Derbyshire tradition
FORMER WELL DRESSING LOCATION - LAST DRESSED IN 2013
In 2013, there were seven:
1. Springbank Cottage Well set into a wall at the junction of Greenaway Lane and Ameycroft Lane
2. Hackney Brow Well on the east side of Holt Road, about 150 m from its junction with Greenaway Lane
3. Braeside Well Dressings 2 dressings on the east side of Holt Road, about 100 m beyond Hackney Brow
4. Sharder Well on the east side of Holt Road, beyond the cottages, near the entrance to Holt Wood
5. Hydrant Well Dressing on the west side of Holt Road, opposite the Braeside Well Dressing, next to the Fire Hydrant marker sign
6. Children’s Well on the footpath known as Grange Lane, a short distance down from its junction with Holt Road, next to the Hydrant Well Dressing
How to get there
Hackney is located on minor roads about 2 km north of Matlock.
CAR: use DE4 2QD for satnav
It is usually possible to park on Greenaway Lane near its junction with Holt Road.
BUS:Mondays to Saturdays: every 1 to 2 hours from Matlock. Sundays: no service. Alternatively walk from Darley Dale (about 1 km via Grove Road, steep hill): Mondays to Saturdays: at least 2 services per hour from Matlock, Bakewell and Derby; hourly from Buxton; every 2 hours from Manchester and Sheffield. Sundays: at least 1 service per hour from Matlock, Bakewell, Derby and Buxton; every 2 hours from Manchester; 3 services per day from Sheffield.